Monday 21 July 2014

Reflections on a mini milestone, Part 1

Aside from some abortive attempts over the years, page 1 appears to be my first ever fully realised comic page. Well, 'fully realised' apart from colouring (and publication!). So, it's a milestone of sorts, and - strangely - I did get a mild euphoria on completing it. I know it's flawed, and there are umpteen things I would improve (and will hopefully learn from), but there's also a sort of relief in finally taking a step down a road you've been meaning to travel for years. And, as the saying goes, a thousand mile journey begins with one step. I know, I know - there's also that other saying: One swallow does not a summer make. However, emotionally and mentally, having made that first step, the second is already closer, and the third, and before you know it you're walking (or have a sky full of swallows - sorry, I've confused myself with my own mixed metaphors!). Anyway, my point seems to be, the invisible line between aspiration and realisation is one that can only be crossed by diving in. Or, as the green sage himself would put it: "Do, or do not. There is no try."

So, what have I learned from my one step? Firstly, not to be precious. What stopped me taking that first step for so long was the desire to make things perfect, to only produce something that would meet my highest self-imposed standards. But such an attitude is crippling to creativity. I could wait to be as good as my heroes - Seth Fisher, Arthur Adams, etc - but, to quote another favourite sage of mine, "That's a long wait for a train don't come". So, better to be flawed and productive that perfect and barren.

I think that's enough flowery nonsense concerning motivation. I'll save my technical reflections for Part 2.


No comments: